Praxagora and her friends are fed up. Every day, the news from local politics is full of nothing but corruption, stagnation, fickleness, and spite. What’s a gang of women in ancient Athens, where only men can attend Assembly, to do? Why, steal their husbands’ clothes, put on fake beards, and vote to put women in charge once and for all, of course. But will the people of Athens accept their radical proposals? Find out in Head Trick Theatre’s production of Aristophanes’s chaotic farce, THE ASSEMBLYWOMEN, performed July 15-31, 2022 in various locations throughout Providence, including the RISD Museum, Riffraff Bookstore, and city parks.
adapted and directed by Rebecca Maxfield
- Praxagora…..Sarah Dunn
- Blepyrus…..Ryk McIntyre
- 1st Chorus/2nd Old Woman…..Luyuan Nathan
- 2nd Chorus/Girl…..Audrey Dubois
- 3rd Chorus/1st Old Woman…..Gail Rosewood (1st weekend); Tracy Coffey (2nd/3rd weekend)
- 4th Chorus/3rd Old Woman…..Cherylee Dumas
- Chremes/Epigenes…..JT Cunha
- Neighbor…..Sammie Jackson
- Aristophanes/Selfish Man…..Ezra Jordan
- Mask Design…..Charlie Santos
- Stage Management…..Audrey Dubois
- Friday, July 15, 8pm: Riffraff Bookstore*
- Saturday, July 16, 2pm: Accordion Studios, 400 Washington St.†
- Saturday, July 16, 8pm: Providence Pedestrian Bridge*
- Sunday, July 17, 2pm: Accordion Studios, 400 Washington St.†
- Thursday, July 21, 6:30pm: Rochambeau Library*
- Friday, July 22, 8pm: Riffraff Bookstore*
- Saturday, July 23, 8pm: Providence Pedestrian Bridge*
- Sunday, July 24, 2pm: RISD Museum Grand Gallery – use Benefit St. entrance†
- Friday, July 29, 8pm: Riffraff Bookstore*
- Saturday, July 30, 8pm: Providence Pedestrian Bridge*
- Sunday, July 31, 2pm: RISD Museum Grand Gallery – use Benefit St. entrance†
- *In the event of inclement weather, an announcement that an outdoor performance is canceled, relocated to a rain location, or going forward in its original location will be posted here and on our Facebook page two hours before curtain. Masks are recommended at outdoor performances.
- †Masks are required at indoor performances.
- The runtime of the show is approximately one hour.
- Admission is free, but donations are accepted online and at the show!
Please note that The Assemblywomen contains sexual and scatological humor.
Stay tuned for 2022-2023 announcements!